Welcome to the local information page! Here you can find useful information about the Spatial Information Science and Engineering programs, the School of Computing and Information Science, the University of Maine, and the greater Bangor-Orono area. If you notice anything we might have forgotten or have any suggestions that would make this page better please feel free to contact us by email
Orono and the University of Maine are easy to find using any online direction system. Also, check out the campus map.
This page is intended for people here in Orono or those that will arrive soon. Here you can find information about campus resources, activities, and happenings.
Community and State News and Information
Campus News: The University’s Newspaper is the Maine Campus where you can find out the important things happening this week.
Regional News: The local newspaper is the Bangor Daily News and it can tell you about what’s happening in the area. The site also contains a page of links about regional activities.
Regional Information: Maine office of tourism web site at Visitmaine.com maintains lists of things to do and see in Maine.
The following website are of relevance to the SIE graduate program.
The following are sample index sites that lead to many more links in the indicated areas:
- Asociation of American Geographers
- American Congress on Surveying and Mapping
- The Imaging and Geospatial Information Society
- Global Spatial Data Infrastructure Association
- Geospatial Information and Technology Association
- International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
- Urban and Regional Information Systems Association
- Bureau of Land Management
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- National Geodetic Survey
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- National Science Foundation
- U.S. Geological Survey
Private Sector Companies
- Thales Navigation
- Geoscience Australia
- Boeing Mission Systems
- Leica Geosystems
- James W. Sewall Company
Academic Programs Affiliated with UCGIS (U.S. Universities)
Academic Programs Affiliated with AGILE (European Universities – See Members)
Academic Programs Affiliated with GEOIDE (Canadian Universities)
A few direct links to specific related academic programs:
- University of New Brunswick
- University of Calgary
- Universite Laval
- Ohio State University
- Prudue University
- University of California Santa Barbara
- New Mexico State University
- Texas A&M
- University of Florida
- University of Alaska
- Ferris State University